Monday, March 14, 2011

On the Edge of the Primeval Forest


From: On the Edge of the Primeval Forest

Albert in response to a man with a disinfected wound, cleaned and cured so he may live-

"Because I am here and am supplied by my friends with the necessary means, he can be saved, like those who will come after him, while otherwise he would have fallen a victim to the torture. This does not mean merely that I can save his life. We must all die. But that I can save him from days of torture, that is what I feel as my great and ever new privilage. Pain is a more terrible lord of mankind then even death himself." –pg 70.

At the age of 21 Albert decided that he would live for science and art until he was thirty, and thereafter would devote his life to serving humanity by becoming a doctor in Africa.

Who can be that flexible in the mind?

Only Albert.

Since the beginning of December I have met (on separate accounts) with a retired physicists, and Paul Oestreicher, one of the founding members of Amnesty international (who gave me this book) with the intent to discuss issues of personal development and faith. Conversations often veer towards Church history, modernism, post modernism and the way things are now. Theology was a good love as an undergrad, and it is wonderful to be reconnected with God in this way, here, in Wellington.

Our conversations are treasures (and I hold conversation in the highest regard). Through these gatherings I have learned much outside of school- they even give me homework. Paul Oestreicher and I went to a Quaker meeting together just to experience this way of faith. It was so intimate sitting in silence with these others from the community. I hope to go back and sit, and read more.

On a very personal note:

Upon reading this quote I realized that In my work I will never save someone from suicide....but I can alleviate others of mental anguish, temporarily- it's what I've always done, it's what I will do. Just don't know what that looks like yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment