Sunday, February 28, 2010

Last bits of Leisure

(dinner- for lent I gave up packaged food, except for crumpets, cheese and meats)

(great beer bought from an in-store keg, wheaty)

Word: Pentecostal- every other church in Wellington.

Book: Tiki Style by Sven A. Kirsten

Summer is coming to a sad close here in the Southern Hemisphere, but not without an exciting tsunami warning. Bays up in Northland were like, “washing machines.” Thank you NZ news.

On my way to a Pacific Islander Wesley church on the other side of town an Aro Valley character made a dash to chat. Appearing out of thin air Peter spoke strictly in alliterations, which made conversation a bit odd and drawn out. The 20 minute run-in with Dr. Seuss ate up all my walking time to the PI church, so I settled for a church near by called, “Abundant Life a Church of Many Nations”- which means lots of Asian cultures, cheers to that! Apparently it also means very few new comers, being that I was practically singled out from the alter. After and during the service half of the congregation introduced themselves. A very friendly bunch. One man thought my name was Henry- that always tickles me, it happens a little too often..

Visiting different churches around Wellington is quickly becoming a fun, slightly secular weekend activity. Can’t help myself from enjoying all the newness and people watching (sensory overload makes worship nearly impossible). There is an automatic comfort level assumed by Christians that needs to be studied on an academic level. You never know what Jesus lovers are going to say. Today a woman asked me if I was single, and about 5 different people said, “See you next week Anne-Marie!!” on my way to the door. It was nice. Last week a man with a giant rat-tail chased me out of a church yelling “THANK YOU FOR COMING, GOOD-BYE, THANK YOU!”- looking around to see what hoard he was addressing I stopped in my tracks, turned around, and attempted to wave. We had an awkward moment together. Peace be with you?

Read a book on Tiki style history, which had me cracking up all afternoon. Man I need to get a social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment