Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Dr. Marilyn Warring


New Zealand women are of a different breed, this may be due to the fact that New Zealand was one of the first countries to give women the right to vote (Switzerland was one of the last in the 1970's).

Marilyn Warring is a pretty amazing Kiwi. Since of 2006 she’s held a position as a professor policy up at AUT Auckland University. She is most known for her work in feminist economics. Dr. Warring helped point out the fact that GDP grows when oil spills, thus economic growth is not inherently good.

This is a great Marilyn Warring comment:
“killing people or preparing to kill them is a big industry”

She has a unique way of stating the obvious not so obvious. Pick up her books.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Warring,
    Happy New Year 2012.
    I watch If Women Counted last night and would like to connect with you. I am developing a social enterprise that hopes to initiate some changes on how things are valued in a money economy and would like your feedback and your views on it. I am currently in Victoria BC, was doing my MA Dispute Resolution but dropped out temporarily as too much loans when one have children. I started developing my ideas this year and your kind comments will be extremely valuable insights for me. Thank you.

    Yours sincerely, Cedar Thokme

    ReplyDelete