Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Results are in!


Emperor Ed. Professor Diener.

Behold, the modern male academic in his natural habitat, tree.

This man dominates subjective well-being (SWB), it is his empire, and he is the ruler of all the current SWB methodologies. I read him. He is one of the most cited professors, ever-

YEAH!!! Did a significant amount of coding (yes, statistical software coding!) this past week and found some significant results. They are being picked over by my professor at the moment.

And so the writing process is underway, and rather than going from one chapter to the next I will be continually writing my whole thesis, at all times. I finally feel like I got my gradate student wings. Yikes, I have an unbelievable amount of work to do.

Read on to see the ground I have covered...

My difficulties:

Psychology- happiness is biologically determined.

Economists- base their theory on the fact that happiness is biologically determined, therefore what we purchase is based on internal real needs, rather than addiction or wants.

Sociologists- disagree that happiness is biologically determined, rather happiness is relative to your society. All theory is based largely on assumption and qualitative coding, which cannot prove there is a large extensive pattern (not the sociologist goal in the first place, they “locate”, keeping their distance from making generalizations).

Geographers- say that that society is shaped by who and what you are surrounded by…completely disproving the psychological idea that happiness is biologically determined, further disproving the economic theorem that what we purchase is based on internal needs, and finally geographers strive to make and more importantly question broad generalizations about social interactions, basing them on environmental dispositions- pissing off all the particular and wordy sociologists.

Take that world, geographers are the world! My school of thought, human geography, RULES…in theory…

No comments:

Post a Comment