Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thesis Woes


Why did I choose to do a thesis? No matter how much I read, discuss or write I feel as if nothing of significance has been composed. It is very, very, very difficult to measure progress.

Theses tend to choose us. Some how, through our life circumstances we have been entrusted the responsibility of knowledge- to find evidence to PREVENT. Mostly, if we are good students- good stewards of knowledge, we are in awe of the things we learn. We are in awe of what there is to know.

No matter what, we must keep going. Results were already in before this thesis began. It is time to extol them.

I look at this envelope with a mix horror and awe. This MA process is truly a journey into my deepest beliefs. Coming into school with the positivist attitude that all is not known and will at some point be known through and unknown process was, and is, still key. Now that I am here and have to give a presentation in front of geographers from all around the world in July, on an MA thesis topic I have yet to find results in is giving me great anxiety. Am I worthy of such a task? An absolute slew of thoughts have been discussed, written, and read up on (but not thoroughly), I have yet to analyze and test my hypothesis. At least I have that. Time heals all wounds, and hopefully fleshes out all hypotheses!

No comments:

Post a Comment