Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Spring Day in New Zealand

Spring has arrived in New Zealand, and to celebrate I went to visit a mental hospital museum outside of Wellington. Nothing but cutting edge research down under! Enjoy!

But first….


I walked by my American Friends’ flat Morgan H. on Aro St., and their cat was looking over the common folk with such grace. A picture was in order.


After passing by the regal cat, I did as I always do- rest my head up against the Danish jeweler’s window and stare longingly. Her stuff is raw and fun as well as classy, possibly timeless- it’s Aro.


On my way to meet my other American Friend named Morgan for a tour of the Victoria Law School, I passed by several construction sites. Often I wonder, where does all the money go if it’s not going into mental health issues (although more people commit suicide than die in road traffic accidents), and everyday the question answers itself, loudly- road repairs/building- jokingly considered a "national past time". How many men does it take to create a sidewalk? 7-12.


Morgan and I took a lovely tour through the largest wooden building in the southern hemisphere the Victoria Law School. Law students were running rampant along the hallways, treading all over history.



Strange displays are available for viewing, Morgan tells me these large mustached manikins sometimes talk, how historical!

The Parliament building is shaped like a beehive.

I know politicians are busy, but this architectural statement is overkill.

Got on the train to view a museum that’s only open on Tuesdays 1-4 in a town about 30 mins outside of Wellington.


Absolutely no peapods on the train!!!!!! Ice cream, soda and apples are also forbidden.

From the train to the Mental Hospital on the top of the hill in Porirua I ran into a woman who wanted 2 or 3 dollars- no eye contact. Worried I took the wrong turn this assured me that I was on the right track. At the top of the hill 2 police stopped me in their cruiser and asked if I was a. lost, and b. had seen a “dirty” girl named Jessica Ross, offering a picture of a 13 some year old white girl with an awful fringe. No. I hadn’t seen her. “Well…she’s around here somewhere” pleased with the logic of their search methods, off they drove to find Jessica Ross. I was almost at the Porirua Mental Hospital Museum.

I sent an e-mail to the secretary of the museum thinking, oh it would be nice to warn them that I’m going to be around…pleasantly surprised by an hour long personal tour from Judith, an retired nurse, these are some of the images I thought you all might find interesting:


foot pump drills for dental work-the model seems sedated, intentional?


Awesome rolling bathtub, let the bath come to you!


Old technology...


Progressing…


Progressing


Progressing?


100 year old mental hospital entry, patient prognosis of senile dementia: Hopeless? Is that a standard issue response?


A skeleton used by doctors for whatever doctors do with skeletons. Actual real person skeleton and the actual real person is unknown.


Old lockdown room with some mental hospital casual attire


Place that nurses used to spy on patients in the old room.

Porirua Mental Hospital used to be one of the biggest buildings in NZ. A beautiful brink building, lots of land for farming, spacious gorgeous views. Apparently the patients were very good farmers and won lots of shinny metals with horses, pigs and fields on them. The big earthquake in 1949 destroyed much of the hospital, patients were then moved to Mt. Ruapehu temporarily! The flash hotel…


Upon exiting I had another questionable moment with NZ construction/financial planning. How many kiwi's does it take to change a street light bulb? 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment